Sunday, March 1, 2015

Blowing Snow (march 1st)

Snow slowly falls all around me as I climb my next-door neighbors steep driveway. Their garage door is open and between their two cars there is a snowblower. I take hold of it and try to push. It back down the driveway. It won't budge. I try to push it harder and tilt the front up slightly. This time, it moves a few inches forward.

I finally get it down the driveway into the deep February snow. I look down and there is a button that says it is for the "electric start" and to push it. I do. Nothing happens. I lean down to look closer at the button and out of the corner of my eye see the instructions for making it start. Following them I push the key farther into the slot until it clicks. Then I try and figure out what "turn the lever until it is in its full on position." I have no idea what lever the instructions are talking about and I don't see anything that says on.

"Danielle," someone calls out. "Do you need help getting that thing to start?"

"Yes." I reply. "I found the instructions but the aren't working."

"Ok. Bring it over here" the voice instructs.

I push the snowblower through the deep snow back to my house. This is going to take a long time. I think to myself. After all, I have to blow two driveways and the sidewalk and there is still more snow coming.

4 comments:

  1. I guess better than a shovel, right? And I assume you got it going? Snow brings all kinds of things to do, some that are hard, like even starting the blower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how the things that are supposed to save time are often the things that are hardest to get started. I liked your last paragraph, especially how you wrote about pushing it back "through the deep snow," leaving it to the reader to remember the troubles you had getting it there in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I like how descriptive you were about the snow being deep and stuff. Cool slice or your life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the description of the snow and your confusions on how to start the snow blower. Nice first slice!

    ReplyDelete